Baby wearing, or carrying your baby in a soft and ergonomic carrier has been practised by parents for centuries. There are endless reasons as to why it is recommended for you and your baby!
Here are 10 reasons why you should carry your baby:
- Promotes bonding: Baby wearing can promote a strong bond between you and your baby by allowing you to be physically close to them for extended periods of time. It allows dad opportunity for bonding too.
- Reduces crying: Babies who are carried in a carrier or wrap often cry less because they feel more secure and comforted by the closeness to their caregiver.
- Increases breastfeeding success: Baby wearing can make it easier to breastfeed on demand and helps establish a good milk supply.
- Supports baby's development: Being carried in a carrier or wrap can help stimulate your baby's sensory and motor development, as well as their language development.
- Provides hands-free convenience: Baby wearing allows you to keep your hands free for other tasks while still holding and soothing your baby.
- Reduces stress for the caregiver: Baby wearing can reduce stress for the caregiver by making it easier to soothe a fussy baby and by promoting relaxation through the release of oxytocin.
- Enhances socialisation: Carrying your baby in a carrier or wrap can help facilitate socialisation by allowing them to observe and interact with the world around them.
- Offers a safe sleeping space: Baby wearing can provide a safe sleeping space for your baby when you're out and about, as they can sleep close to you while you keep an eye on them.
- Colic: Many babies suffer from intestinal colic, especially in the first months of life. It is assumed that the insufficient development of the gastrointestinal tract contributes to this. The angled position of the legs in the baby carrier relaxes the stomach and allows gases to escape from the intestines more easily. The body heat on the baby's tummy can also relieve the pain.
- Allows for ease of travel: Baby wearing can make it easier to travel with your baby, as carriers and wraps are lightweight and can be used in a variety of settings.
Overall, baby wearing can provide numerous benefits for both you and your baby, promoting bonding, reducing crying, and supporting development, among many others.